Technology and programming skills are in high demand in the workforce—and not just for tech companies! The Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that careers directly related to web development are expected to grow 23% over the next decade, and software development positions are expected to grow 25%. But of even greater note is that more and more jobs now require programming and technology skills—you may find yourself using web development tools as a graphic designer or data visualization as an environmental scientist. Proficiency in data analysis, machine learning, and IT skills, for example, frequently top surveys of desirable job skills for new hires in a range of different fields.
Further, developments in technology lead to rapid changes in industries and jobs. This requires employees to continually learn and update their skills and abilities. Educational opportunities are adapting as well in order to meet the needs of a constantly shifting workforce.
The Top Benefits of Learning Technology Skills
Some of the major benefits of gaining technology skills at any point in one’s career or education include the following:
- Gaining in-demand job skills makes you a more attractive candidate, and employers in just about every field are searching for candidates with data science skills.
- Showcasing even a basic grasp of technology and programming skills provides greater flexibility in career options.
- Displaying proficiency in high-value skills can land you a larger salary and greater job security.
- Learning a new skill builds confidence and lays the groundwork for learning future skills, applications, and programming languages.
- Who knows—it may help you discover a hidden passion or talent!
Anant Agarwal, “How Modular Education Is Revolutionizing The Way We Learn (And Work),” Forbes, April 25, 2019. https://www.forbes.com/sites/anantagarwal/2019/04/25/how-modular-education-is-revolutionizing-the-way-we-learn-and-work/?sh=2fb4e363a26f.
edX Team. “Stackable, Modular Learning: Education Built for the Future of Work.” edX Blog, January 16, 2020. https://blog.edx.org/stackable-modular-learning-education-built-future-work.
MOOC Blog Team. “Why Is Computer Programming Important?” MOOC.org, March 9, 2022. https://www.mooc.org/blog/why-is-computer-programming-important.
U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. “Software Developers, Quality Assurance Analysts, and Testers.” 2021. https://www.bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/software-developers.htm.
U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. “Web Developers and Digital Designers.” 2021. https://bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/web-developers.htm.